Acupuncture is a covered benefit under all small group (< 50 employees) health insurance plans in California with policy start dates of 01-01-2014 or later, per requirements of the federal Affordable Care Act (ACA). The ACA requires all states to define the “essential health care benefits” that health policies must cover. California’s legislature has chosen to include acupuncture as an essential health care benefit.
Anthony Von der Muhll, L.Ac., DNBAO is an in-network provider for the following HMO, EPO and POS health benefit plans:
- First Health/CNN/Coventry Health Care
- FISERV/UMR and SutterSelect Employee Benefit Program
- United Health Care/Optum Health
Please be advised that network status may change without prior notice. If you don’t see your plan listed here, or to verify our current network status, please contact us or call 831-459-6762.
Please note that HMO, EPO and POS plans typically require pre-authorization or referral by a physician. Please contact us or call 831-459-6762 for assistance with obtaining pre-authorization.
Acupuncture is covered by most PPO plans. Prior authorization or prior diagnosis and referral by a physician is not generally required by PPO plans. You may request an appointment by using our “Schedule Visit” form, or by calling us at 831-459-6762.
We are in-network with the following PPO plans:
- Blue Shield of California
We are out-of-network with the following insurers, however we can still submit claims on your behalf for PPO plans from the following insurers:
- Anthem/Blue Cross of California
- Out-of-state and federal employee Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans
- Most other plans not listed above
Please note that not all PPO plans cover acupuncture, and that co-pays will likely be higher with out-of-network providers than with a provider in your PPO network.
Acupuncture is covered under California Workers Compensation. An initial course of acupuncture may be authorized if medically necessary. Please contact us or call 831-459-6762 if you need information or assistance regarding obtaining prior authorization from your Workers Compensation insurance adjustor and your primary treating physician.
Flexible spending and health savings accounts may be used to pay for acupuncture and all other medical services as well as nutritional supplements (Chinese herbs) prescribed by this clinic. We will provide you with statements with medical diagnosis and treatment codes as may be required for tax records and reimbursements.
To find out if your health insurance covers acupuncture, please contact your health insurer directly, or contact us or call 831-459-6762 for more assistance.
For co-payments or self-payment (due at time of service), we accept cash, check, and credit/debit cards (Visa and MasterCard only).
- We never ask for payment in advance of services rendered.
- We provide acupuncture as medically necessary to relieve or resolve health problems–no enrollment in “treatment packages” is required.
- We provide an estimate of the number of visits required to relieve and resolve your condition, and meet your health-care goals.
- We work with every patient to keep treatment costs within their health-care budget.
For assistance with verifying insurance coverage, or to discuss payment options, please contact us or call 831-459-6762.
To request an initial consultation or treatment:
- Call the Acupuncture Orthopedics and Sports Medicine Clinic at 831-459-6762, or
- Contact us by email.